Hair Styles for Your Special Day or Evening
A Top Ten Checklist
It is always great to have a different style for your special day – something that is going to enhance your natural beauty. Always have several trial runs with a new style, including wearing your hair in that style for a whole evening – a hairstyle can look great just out of the salon but can it stand several hours of dancing? Have a look at our top ten tips.
- Which stylist? Make bookings for consultations with more than one stylist well in advance and decide on the one you feel most comfortable with. You should be able to express your likes and dislikes without feeling awkward.
- Long hair, shoulder length, or short hair? It is important to consult with your stylist well in advance and make a decision. Long hair obviously gives the stylist much freedom for creativity but a skilled stylist can also work well with medium and short styles. Be sure to choose a length that fits with your personality and style.
- Have your hair complement your dress. Smooth, straight hair and pinned up curls are often paired up with smooth satin gowns, whereas a fine silk or chiffon dress often goes well with soft flowing curls.
- Take into consideration your silhouette. If it's along horizontal lines such as with a wide dress, you'll want to stick with that look for your hair as well. The same goes for a vertical profile.
- You'll be spending a lot of time at the salon picking out the perfect hairstyle, so it's best to be prepared. Be sure to wash your hair the night before your consultation, and try to have some pictures of styles you'd like to try out.
- Take a picture of your dress along to your stylist. This will greatly help the process along. Also take any accessories with you (like your tiara) with you, and let the stylist know what kind of event you are going to: formal, informal, evening, daytime, your wedding, a prom etc. Alternatively, consult with your stylist before deciding on your hair accessories.
- If you are interested in a new cut or colour to your hair, don't wait until right before your special day. Make the changes during the initial consultation with the stylist, so that you don't have any unpleasant surprises down the road.
- After you have decided on your style, make sure you walk around with it. Your special day will be a long one and you certainly don't want an uncomfortable hair do causing irritation!
- As a bride, your veil length will have some influence on your choice of hairstyle. Normally, the veil is longer than the hair. It is often secured in back swept hair (for up dos) and it's important to make sure the style can hold the veil in place.
- What accessories are you going to wear? You will already (hopefully!) have your headpiece picked out. Flowers, pins, and beads can be used to add an extra sparkle to your hair, and you can and should coordinate them with the rest of your jewellery.
It may sound like choosing a hair style is a strenuous activity, but the care and preparation is simply to make sure your special day/evening is the best it can be.